Wednesday, February 29, 2012

49th Annual Dolly Johnson Antique and Art Show

 I am beginning to count down the days until I load up my big old green Suburban and head for Ft. Worth, Texas! 

I will be setting up at the 49th Annual Dolly Johnson Antique and Art Show, a show that has been an institution in the Dallas - Fort Worth area for, well, 49 years now!

 The Dolly Johnson Antique Show is one that I used to attend when I lived in Dallas years ago.
 In fact, long before my dear friend, Barbara, was my dear friend, I remember seeing her set up at the show,  and , and.....well let's just say I spent a little money with her in those days.

She exposed me to many fine antiques back then and continues to have a strong influence on me today. I have featured her home several times on Hill Country House.

In fact, we've even been known to sell each other antiques, only to buy them back from one another later on!
  Crazy?
 Yes, we know.

She was one of my, and many others,  favorite dealers back then and still, today, is my favorite antique loving friend!
 We have made many memories over the years in and around the antique business together!


So, the show was founded in 1963 by Dolly Johnson of Ft. Worth, Texas. 
During the 1990's Dolly's daughter,  JJ Frambes, joined her mother in running the show and eventually took over leadership.



In 2009 JJ sold the show to Jan Orr Harter, owner of Hot Tamale Antiques of Aledo, Texas.

Jan Orr-Harter


Jan has long been a favorite dealer of mine, as well.
 Her classic Southwestern style has always been complemented by the unique and quirky antiques she adds to the mix, which of course, have always spoken to me!


Jan has added art and a broader range of antiques to the show, making it a diverse and fun show in keeping with the times. 

I am excited to set up at this show next to my friend,

JANET


of

 SWEET TALK !!




I took these photos when I met Janet in 2009. 
We chatted for a while and I immediately was taken with her warmth and sincerity.
 I was amazed at her creativity and unique style!
I am still in awe of her creativity and style and it has been fun watch her as she has moved to Marburger Farms to a perfect spot in an old farmhouse where she can be found each spring and fall as a regular dealer, AND she writes the awesome blog,

Talk Sweet Talk!


Another dealer I am excited to be with is also Marburger regular, Stephanie, from Tyler, Texas.
 I have bought from Stephanie regularly over the years,but have never gotten to set up at a show with her.
 Looking forward to that, too!!

 I love the people in the antique business as much, if not MORE, than the antiques!


Photo Source

Also on the list of great dealers is my friend,

Steve Wiman, artist,
and
   owner of Uncommon Objects in Austin.

Steve has an artist's eye for the unique and interesting, both in single objects and in the fabulous ways he pulls objects together.
I can't wait to see his space at the show!


As you can see from the photos of past shows, there will be quite a variety of antiques and vintage treasure to see......



One might see everything from giant hands that must have been from a store display, to vintage western wear, to more traditional antique trunks with amazing early paint finishes.....

What a great show and I am honored and thrilled to be a part of it!

So, if you are anywhere near Ft. Worth, Texas next weekend, come see me and 74 other antique dealers. 
We promise not to disappoint!

5 comments:

  1. Ann,thanks for story on the show, looking forward to having you here! Best, Jan Orr-Harter, Show Director PS: This just out--- our very fabulous magazine in Fort Worth, 360 West, comes out tomorrow and the digital edition is up now. See the feature on the Dolly Johnson Antique & Art Show, with focus on your favorite--- Uncommon Objects and Steve Wiman. See pages 68-71 at
    http://www.bluetoad.com/publication/?i=102391

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT PICS:) I really like your blog...so much nice inspiration.
    I wish you a lovely week:)

    LOVE Maria at inredningsvis.se
    (Sweden)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a lot of great finds here! Having some pieces of history in your home is such a wonderful way to build layers in your interiors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like an amazing event! I wish I lived closer. Happy to find your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails